About the Coach & Horses
The Coach & Horses opened in about 1827, on the prime site at the junction of Tower Street and West Park, and one of eight public houses in the area.
At the southern end of West Park was the Brunswick Hotel, now private residences called Prince of Wales Mansions, and at the northern end was Mr Muckle’s Vaults. Tower Street had the Albert Hotel at the far end. Further up was the Coach Maker’s Arms, opposite what is now the Tap & Spile, which back then was called the Belford. Next door to The Coach was the Golden Lion, and then the Obelisk, which was rebuilt in 1838 as the Commercial, before becoming the West Park. Between the Commercial and the Brunswick was the Clarendon. By the end of the 19th Century the Coach & Horses had expanded so much that there were no fewer than seven external doors in the building’s frontage.
In 1891 the pub was put up for sale. At that time it had a smoking room with an entrance on West Park; a front vaults with separate corner entrance; and a back vaults, with an entrance from Tower Street.
The Coach failed to achieve the asking price of £9,000. Shortly after, it was mortgaged to John Smiths Brewery and when this mortgage was foreclosed in 1912 the brewery took complete control.
In 1988 Bob Nelson became landlord and later the lease was passed to his son John. In 1996 John purchased the freehold from the brewery, making the Coach & Horses the free house it remains today, with John Nelson still your landlord and master of the house.